Employment Law – Safeguard Your Rights in the Workplace
The workplace can be a source of many concerns for employees. An employment lawyer from our firm can provide advice and undertake legal action when your rights have been compromised in the workplace.
Scope of Our Employment Law Practice
Our firm advises clients on all aspects of federal and provincial labour and employment law with a particular emphasis on wrongful dismissal claims, the negotiation of executive employment agreements, harassment and discrimination in the workplace, pensions and benefits, employee privacy matters, occupational health and safety, workplace safety and insurance (workers’ compensation) and pay and employment equity matters.
Employment law governs the rights and obligations between employers and their employees. As such, our practice encompasses the negotiation and drafting of individual employment contracts. In addition, we participate in all aspects of litigation arising from employment relationships, including unlawful or wrongful dismissal actions, as well as the application of federal and provincial legislation.
We offer our clients up–to–date information on legislative changes in all aspects of labour and employment law, as well as sound advice in all of the following areas:
- Wrongful dismissal claims for situations when you are unjustly terminated without notice or compensation.
- Severance packages to ensure you do not accept a package that offers less than you are entitled to. Our team will consider your salary, the length of your tenure with the company, the position you held and your age to determine what constitutes a fair severance package.
- Constructive dismissal applies to situations where the terms or conditions of your employment may have been changed. You can take legal action against your employer, but legal advice is essential to ensure that a constructive dismissal claim applies to you and would stand a good chance of being successful.
- Employment standards disputes emerge when government employment standards on payment of wages, hours of work, overtime, holidays, requests for leave etc. are violated by your employer.
- Executive employment contracts ensure that your rights as an employee are met. We can make sure that any agreement you are considering does not limit your rights.
- Employment–related sexual harassment or human rights violations. Harassment and discrimination in the workplace are illegal. If you feel your rights have been violated, we can help you take legal action.
- Collective agreement negotiation. We can assist you with planning, negotiating and protecting your collective agreement.
- Occupational health & safety regulations are designed to protect all employees. If these regulations are not being followed, we can help you obtain redress.
- Pay equity matters. Employees are entitled to equal pay for equal work. If you believe you are not being compensated fairly, we can help.
- Workers’ compensation. If you are injured on the job we can help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled.
If You Have Employment Concerns, Talk to Us
You have the right to fair compensation and a workplace free of discrimination, intimidation and harassment. If you feel your rights have been violated, we invite you to schedule a low–cost initial consultation with an employment lawyer at our firm.